Author   Comment  
stefanos

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi Everybody
I'm Stefano and I work in Rome at Aldo Genovesio's Lab

I have a problem with the tasks in which an object must move. In particular, I notice that during the execution of the task, at the end of each trial, ML gives an error “Skipped 299 frames” (the number of skipped frame is variables between sessions).

I used the example task called “8 random dot motion”, with the Condition File called “rdm” and what I see is that the movement is not linear but seems that the dots are frozen and I can’t perceive the movement at coherence 100% (see the attachment in which there is a video of the problem), what I see looks like two frames that alternate one after the other.

After this, I tried another task made by myself with ML trialholder_V1 and I encountered the same problems.

In general, when I try to ask ML to move an object during a trial, the movement is not linear and a lot of frames are skipped

I tested these tasks with a PC with the following characteristics:

-CPU I5-7500 3.4GHz 6MB

-DDR4 8GB 2133 CRUCIAL

-DDR4 8GB 2133 CRUCIAL

-HD SEAGATE 1TB SATA/3 64MB 7200RPM

-HD SSD 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 850

-M.B. ASUS H270-PLUS SK 1151 3x slot pci-e

-GRAPHIC CARD: Nvidia GeForce GT 730 (https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications) (DirectX 12)

-Windows 10

And two monitors, the first is a normal Monitor and the second one is a Monitor Touch screen 3M MicroTouch M1700SS USB - Monitor LCD - 17 - touchscreen - 1280 x 1024 -

I would like that the task works with this kind of options:

1) Two monitors, one touch screen to perform the task and a normal screen as Control Screen;

2) The Windows option for two monitors “extend these displays”;

3) MonkeyLogic option in the ML interface “>>Video” “Forced use of fallback screen” OFF.

I performed the following tests to identify the problem but the task DOESN’T WORKS:

1) two monitors attached simultaneously both in simulation mode off or on, with the Windows option for two monitors “extend these displays” with the MonkeyLogic option in the ML interface “>>Video” “Forced use of fallback screen” OFF: we can’t perceive the movement and appears the error of “skipped frame”, as described above.

I performed the following tests to identify the problem but the task WORKS:

1) Single monitor and the task in simulation mode: the task works when the monitor is attached to the computer individually, both with the touch screen and with the normal monitor.

2) two monitors attached simultaneously both in simulation mode off or on, with the Windows option for two monitors “duplicate these displays” with the MonkeyLogic option in the interface “>>Video” “Forced use of fallback screen” OFF: the task works and the movement is linear and clear as has to be.

3) two monitors attached simultaneously in simulation mode off, with the Windows option for two monitors “extend these displays” but with the MonkeyLogic option in the interface “>>Video” “Forced use of fallback screen” ON: the task works and the movement is linear and clear as has to be.

4) We tested the computer with normal videos played with different programs to play videos and the videos are shown normally.

5) we use a different and older computer with the same monitors and the same settings: two monitors attached simultaneously both in simulation mode off or on, with the Windows option for two monitors “extend these displays” with the MonkeyLogic option in the ML interface “>>Video” “Forced use of fallback screen” OFF, the task works.
The "old" PC has the following characteristics:

- CPU: Intel Pentium G3260 3.30GHz
- RAM: 4GB
GRAPHIC CARD: Nvidia GeForce 210 https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/specifications (DirectX 11)
- Windows 7 Professional

Does anyone have the same problem? Do you have any advice?

Thank you

Attached Files
zip 20190506_143138.zip (75.54 MB, 3 views)

Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Please update your NIMH ML to the latest version.

Have you run the latency test? What is the resolution and refresh rate of both monitors?

After connecting two monitors, try setting the other monitor as the main display of the system in the Windows display settings, if you haven't switched it.

stefanos

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaewon
Please update your NIMH ML to the latest version.

Have you run the latency test? What is the resolution and refresh rate of both monitors?

After connecting two monitors, try setting the other monitor as the main display of the system in the Windows display settings, if you haven't switched it.

Hi Jeawon,

1) I did the tests both with a previous version (october 15,2018 build 155) and with the latest version and the result does not change, see the videos, with one monitor and the other one is with two monitors (see the name);

2) I run the latency test (the one named LatencyTest_OLDPC_TWOMONITORS is the latency test of the computer in which the task works; the other two pics are the latency test one with one monitor and the other with two monitors connected, see the names) and I attached the results. The resolution of both monitor is 1280x1024 (60Hz refresh rate);

3) I switched the two monitors as main dispaly and the result is the same;

Please let me know if you need more informations, thank you

Attached Images
jpeg LatencyTest_BADPC_SINGLEMONITOR.jpg (357.87 KB, 2 views)
jpeg LatencyTest_BADPC_TWOMONITORS.jpg (383.43 KB, 2 views)
jpeg LatencyTest_OLDPC_TWOMONITORS.jpg (393.96 KB, 2 views)

Attached Files
zip VideoDOT_BADPC_SINGLEMONITOR.zip (60.48 MB, 1 views)
zip VideoDOT_BADPC_TWOMONITORS.zip (54.83 MB, 1 views)

Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
There is no need to test with one monitor.

I don't have the same video board as yours (or any NVIDIA), but it appears that your board doesn't sync with vertical blanks at all. If your monitor runs at 60 Hz, there is no way to skip 100000 frames within just 5 sec.

I don't know how to change video options of your board. See if there is anything changed with vsync. Fresh reinstallation of the video driver may help, I guess.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.