Author   Comment  
zhivago

Reply with quote  #1 
Will really appreciate if someone has answers to these questions.

1) Does NIMH ML support USB daq cards like NI USB 6255 for Analog I/O?

2) Is it possible to use ML in the following set-up?
ML is running on laptop which is connected to NI USB 6255 to acquire multichannel analog EMG/Spike data.  ML is used to run the behavioral experiment but the multichannel data also needs to be acquired on the same laptop and synchronized to behavior using digital event codes.

Thanks,
Zhivago...
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
1) Yes

2) Yes
zhivago

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Jaewon for the response.

What I am not clear about is if ML can do multichannel acquisition at a rate > 1 KHz.  And, if acquisition (> 1 KHz) is not done by ML, how can synchronization with behaviour be achieved?  Can ML and another acquisition program access the same NI USB daq card without closing their respective sessions?

Thanks,
Zhivago...
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
First of all, it is not NIMH ML but the NI board that does the sampling. As long as the data sheet of the board says it can perform the multichannel acquisition at the rate you want, you are fine.

The sample rate of 1 kHz in NIMH ML means that the board will read each channel 1000 times per second. If you assign 1 channel to the job, the total number of samples that the board collects each second will be 1000. If 5 channels are assigned, it will be 5000.
zhivago

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Jaewon for the clarification.

From the documentation, it seemed like 1 KHz is the maximum or the fixed sampling rate one can set for Analog I/O in ML.  Is that so?

If my card supports, say 20 KHz, will I get 20000 samples per second per channel?

Thanks,
Zhivago...
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, the max sample rate in NIMH ML is 1 kHz.

No, you won't. If you read the data sheets carefully, the sample rates of NI multi-function boards are written like 20 kS, not 20 kHz. It is because these boards have only one ADC and just multiplex quickly between channels. If the sample rate of your board is 20 kS and you use one channel, you get up to 20000 samples for that channel. However, if you use two channels, you can get only 10000 samples for each channel.

For more information, please contact NI.
zhivago

Reply with quote  #7 
I did not know that about the NI multi-function boards.  Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Just to be clear - I will not get more than 1000 samples per second on any channel in ML, correct?  If so, what is the reason to restrict the sampling rate per channel to 1 KHz?

Thanks,
Zhivago...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.