Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
melindacy

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear all, 
I'm recently encountering a problem with strobe codes assignment:
My PCI-6221 card has 2 Digital Output ports (port 0 with line 0 and 1, and port 1 with line 0-7). I can successfully assign Behavioral Codes with Port 1 line 0-7, but assigning Strobe Codes to Port 0 line 0 (or line 1) would result in error:"unable to assign line 0 port 0 as a digital strobe output bits", which prevented behavioral code from running.

The same setup and configuration has been tested on another PC and went through just fine.  
I'd appreciate it very much if I can get some idea for troubleshooting here.

Thanks,
Yang 
Wael.Asaad

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Did you try putting the strobe bit and the data bits on the same port?  Depending on the configuration of some systems, that might be a limiting factor...
melindacy

Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry for getting back so late but yes when I assign strobe (using line 7) and behavioral codes (using line 0-6) on the same port, the experiment runs well. 
However does this mean that I can only use 2^7 of event markers instead of 2^8? 
Wael.Asaad

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
It depends on the port size.  Some cards have 16-bit ports, so you could potentially use 15 data bits and one strobe bit.  Also, some cards will allow you to assign the strobe and data bits on different ports, I believe.

melindacy

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi,
Thanks for the info! My PCI 6221 card has 16 bits in total (1-8 can do differential but not for 9-16). However in monkeylogic when I assign digital output port to behavioral codes, only 8 lines were available (and only eventmarker smaller than 127 can be allowed for the experiment, otherwise an error occurs).

Can monkeylogic version have an effect on this? For the PC that had the problem I have version info below:

<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Revision Date: 4-05-2014 build 1.0.26
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Operating System: Windows_NT...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> *** JAVA Virtual Machine is Running ***
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Computer Name: RHJ-PC...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Logged in as "RHJ"...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Detected 8 "x86" processors...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Matlab version: 8.3.0.532 (R2014a)...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Approximate Matlab cycle rate is 3398 kHz
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Launching Menu...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Initialized DirectX / OpenGL interface...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Initialized Task Menu...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 2 video devices...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Initialized Video Menu...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Initialized Control-Screen Menu...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Gathering I/O board info...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> DAQ Toolbox Version: Data Acquisition Toolbox 3.5 (R2014a)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> DAQ Driver Version: National Instruments 15.5.0 NI-DAQmx
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 4 I/O adaptors:

Meanwhile, when I use the same cards on another PC that runs monkeylogic last updated in September 2012, I can actually assign strobe and behavioral codes to different ports and everything seems to be ok. It's very confusing for me right now.

Any comments on this?

Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi melindacy,

Your board has 3 digital ports, which again have 8 lines for each. (What you mentioned above (1-8...differential...) is about analoginput.) With NI-DAQmx, you cannot set the input/output direction of individual digital lines. You can do it only by port, which means 8 lines of each port should be all output or all input.

You said you couldn't assign Strobe Codes on Port 0. I guess Port 0 might be already assigned for input or Line 0 was occupied by something else, but you can still use all 8 lines of Port 1 for Behavioral Codes by assigning Strobe Codes to Port 2 or any port available on the second board if you are using the duplicate board setup. You can also use Behavioral Codes larger than 8 bits, if your MonkeyLogic is patched as I suggested previously. After this patch, you can assign Behavioral Codes across multiple ports.

http://forums.monkeylogic.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1290922224&postcount=9&forum=454793
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.