Author   Comment  
IsabelV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,
I have a dummy question about the very cool adapters that were added in the last version of ML. Particularly: 9 rdm receptive field mapper, and 15 grating receptive field mapper.

Is it possible to "combine" these adapters (of course separately, in two different tasks), such that a fixation target that depends on the eye tracker (for fixation spot, wait and hold) is simultaneously required while the RDM or grating (that depend on mouse tracker) is also part of the scene?

I would like to be able to change the size and properties of the RDM and grating (with the mouse) while the animal is fixating.

Any comments will be very much appreciated.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
It can be a bit complex for someone who is not familiar with the new framework, so I made an example. The attached task goes like this.

Scene 1: A fixation point is displayed for 5000 ms until eye fixation is acquired. If the fixation is acquired, proceed to Scene 2.

Scene 2: Rewards are delivered every second while fixation is maintained. The fixation is supposed to be maintained for 10 sec. Brief breaks of fixation are allowed as long as they are shorter than 300 ms. A grating is presented and can be manipulated with mouse and keyboard, while the scene lasts. When the scene ends, the grating parameters are stored so that it can be presented on the last location next trial with the same settings.

-----

This example is now included in the package. See the "task\runtime v2\18 multi-input tracking 2" directory.
IsabelV

Reply with quote  #3 
Perfect! Thank you very much, this is very useful.

Is there any difference when sending the event code, on the run_scene line, versus after the run_scene line using eventmarker(eventcodes)?
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
The time when the code is stamped is different. The eventcode given to the run_scene function is marked when the first frame of the scene is presented. If you call an eventmarker function after the run_scene function, the code will be stamped after the scene ends.

toggleobject and goodmonkey also have their own 'eventmarker' option to mark the start time of stimuli and reward precisely.
IsabelV

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Jaewon.
The task runs perfect under simulation mode. I made a few changes only for fixation and timing.

Today I run it with the animal, with eye tracker input. It gave me an error about "touch_". I wonder why that error does not happen during simulation mode.

Could it be that it is not recognizing the mouse as the touch tracker? Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe something I am missing in the settings?

Thank you.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Enable touchscreen in the Non-DAQ devices settings
IsabelV

Reply with quote  #7 
It worked! Thanks a million!
carlsobm

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi IsabelV and Jaewon. Thank you both for this! This task is also great for what we want to do in our lab. IsabelV, I just wanted to clarify something: when your task proceeds to scene 2, does the fixation spot remain on the screen? 

Currently, when we run this, the fixation spot appears, and then when fixation is obtained the grating appears and the fixation spot disappears. The animal does continue to get reward while the grating is present if stays within the previously established fixation window. However, without a spot to fixate on the monkey usually breaks fixation as the grating appears. 

Just wondering if you got an animal to fixate on a spot at the same time as the grating is on screen.

Thanks!
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
Adding the fixation spot to the scene can be done in the create_scene function easily. Please take some time to study how the new framework works. All documents currently available are under the doc directory of the ML installation path.
IsabelV

Reply with quote  #10 

Hi Carl. Yes, my fixation stays on. As Jaewon explained, the fixation spot can be added easily when you create your scene. Check the pdf and existing examples in the documentation, they are all very useful.

I used the following line to create scene number 2:
scene2 = create_scene(and2,fixation);

In which fixation is in fact my task object #1, defined in the beginning of my code as:
fixation = 1;

carlsobm

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you both so much! I now see where and how this can be created and manipulated. 

Many Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.