Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jack_23

Reply with quote  #1 
In the monkeylogic website, https://www.nimh.nih.gov/labs-at-nimh/research-areas/clinics-and-labs/ln/shn/monkeylogic/national-instruments-daq-card.shtml,
I found NI PCIe-6321 not support event code. Why? Is it possible to use NI PCI2-6321 to send event marker to Plexon?
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
That is wrong information. You can use NI PCIe-6321 and any other device that has digital IO to send out event codes.
Andy Mitz

Reply with quote  #3 
Actually, the right answer is: it depends.
The PCIe-6321 supports 3 I/O ports, P0, P1, P2.  Any given port must be all input or all output.  The 6321 has a single output connector, which limits the number of digital bits it supports.  
P0    8 bits
P1    8 bits
P2    8 bits 

If you configure two ports for output (example: P0 and P1), then you can have 16 output bits.  In that arrangement, you can have a 15 bit event code word and one bit as a strobe.  Meanwhile, if you need input bits, you can set P2 as and input port.  Note, analog inputs and output can often serve as individual digital bits.  An analog output can be used to send a reward pulse, for instance.

If you don't need inputs bits (or you can survive using one or more analog inputs), then you can make P0, P1 and P2 all output ports.  This will give you 16 (or more) event code bits, a strobe bit and even some bits left over for reward devices or optogenetic triggers.  

The standard arrangement for the MonkeyLogic interface posted on the NIMH MonkeyLogic web site takes advantage of the NI PCIe-6323 interface card.  It has two I/O connectors on the back.  That card has more bits:
P0    32 bits
P1    8 bits
P2    8 bits 

Given this wealth of bits, especially on port P0, P0 is set for digital output.  The first 8 bits are reserved for general purpose digital outputs and 17 of the remaining bits provide a 16-bit event code plus strobe bit. Ports P1 and P2 are teamed up to create a 16 bit digital input.

Although the bits are all labeled in this way, the interface itself does not make any of these assignments obligatory.  Thus, you can build the MonkeyLogic interface, ignore the naming of the I/O ports, and configure the bits however you prefer. Note that MonkeyLogic 2 is more flexible than the original MonkeyLogic in making pin assignments, so some of the above description may not apply to the original MonkeyLogic.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
No, the right answer is, yes, it supports event codes. Of course, event codes cannot be sent out if all digital ports are used for something else, but it is just the user's choice.
Jack_23

Reply with quote  #5 
I see. Thank you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.