Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jamesbutler01

Reply with quote  #1 
We currently use Monkey Logic on aging PCs running Windows XP with a 3.2 Ghz two-core processor. It has worked fine for many years but the intertrial interval (ITI) is normally at least 2 seconds (with the message 'Warning: Desired ITI exceeded), presumably because the PC is slow at loading up the task objects in between each trial. I'm thinking about upgrading the PC to a more modern one to try and reduce the ITI (as they make up 20% of our ~8 second trials). The Getting Started section is a bit out of date and I was hoping someone could tell me the following before I take the plunge and try to upgrade the rig.

Is Monkey Logic compatible with Windows 10 and the latest Matlab versions?

Are there any monitor requirements for Monkey Logic (size, refresh rate etc)?

What aspects of the PC would best improve monkey logic running? I'm assuming the graphics card wont make a difference? Is it only the main thread clock speed of the CPU that's relevant (no multithreading)? Would an SSD help?

Thanks!
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
I think you need to consider using NIMH ML. The original ML is not compatible with MATLAB's new graphics engine (R2014b or later) and cannot be executed on R2016a or later (it can, if using NIMH DAQ Toolbox).

The most important component is CPU, I think. NIMH ML runs many threads simultaneously, so multi-threading support will be helpful (which most CPUs do these days).

You can use any monitor with NIMH ML. What is important in the graphics card is the size of the video memory. If you have a big screen, you need a large video memory.

Of course, an SSD would be helpful. It just makes everything fast.

In addition, NIMH ML provides a way to reuse stimuli without creating them again, so you can decrease ITI significantly.
jamesbutler01

Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks for the reply! If I switched to NIMH ML will the DAQ requirements be okay, so that I can just plug our current hardware into the new PC?

Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
If it worked with the original ML, it should work with NIMH ML, too. And you don't need two DAQ boards with NIMH ML.
jamesbutler01

Reply with quote  #5 
Ideally I'd like to keep using two DAQ cards as otherwise I'll have to redo all the wiring, and then if I run into problems with the new rig I wont be able to simply switch back to the original rig if I've altered the other external hardware. Can I run NIMH ML with 2 DAQ cards? I looked at the website and it says it is now obsolete to run 2 but I can't see if it's still possible. Would there by any disadvantages to still using 2?
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
You can use as many boards as you want with NIMH ML. A disadvantage of using two boards when you can do all the jobs with one board is obviously money.

Do you know why the original ML required two boards? The second board doesn't do anything but processing duplicated analog signals. So, if you didn't connect anything else to the second board, there is no need of re-wiring.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.