Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
aboharbf

Reply with quote  #1 
I am in the process of setting up the monkeylogic system for use in the lab and I've run into the following difficulty

We are using a NI PCIe-6321 X Series Data Acquisition Card, connected to the recommended BNC - 2090A. We used the standard cable to connect the DAQ to the BNC, and are using the analog inputs for Eye tracking, Pupil size detection, and a Juice system for reward. We intend on doing neural recordings during this and for recording and analysis of data from the electrode we have the Cerebus® Neural Signal Processing System (manual linked below):

http://blackrockmicro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/LB-0028_14.00_Cerebus_Users_Manual.pdf

We are wondering what the standard means of getting info from the BNC to the Blackrock system is. We have contacted NI and discussed what kind of cable would be used to go from the 68 Pin SCSI in the front of the BNC to the 37 pin connector on the blackrock and they suggest making a cable wired the way we need, but before resorting to that, I wanted to see how other people accomplished this. 

Any insights would be appreciated.

ryklin

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
I think that you will need to make your own cable, unless blackrock micro can make one for you. It is actually not very difficult because the interface on the cerebus is a standard RS232 pr DB37 as indicated in the manual. You can buy these online for a few dollars. Then, you will need to run a wire for each digital output you wish to send from your BNC interface. Perhaps you just want to send 4 TTL digout signals, you will only wire up the first 4 digital inputs on the blackrock interface.  This is exactly the same case with Plexon systems. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help.
aboharbf

Reply with quote  #3 
So this was our plan - the person I'm working with also suggested investigating whether we can hook the computer with the DAQ + ML directly to the blackrock via the serial port - Is this a feasible means as well (without significant draw backs)? If not then we would proceed with making a cable. we just didn't want to take the DIY route if there was a standard, potentially more straightforward means of accomplishing the same end.
Jaewon

Reply with quote  #4 
I think this photo will help.

http://forums.monkeylogic.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1291801628&postcount=11&forum=454793

The other side of the cable should go to the digital inputs of BlackRock (16-bit D37 connector). The serial port needs hand-shaking, which does not work with your DAQ board.
stremblay

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi aboharbf,

I'm using Blackrock system too (Cereplex) and the BNC-2090A. What you need to do is what Jaewon suggested. Buy a DB37 cable, strip it, study the connection map of the digital input port of the Cerebus, and connect the corrrect bit from the digitial out of the BNC to the inputs of the Cerebus. It should look like Jaewon's picture on the BNC side. The intact connector can be plugged into the Cerebus on the other side if you routed your bits correctly.

Best,
aboharbf

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks a lot Jaewon and stremblay - It looks like that is what we'll be doing. 
coxma

Reply with quote  #7 
This is exactly what we do in Alex Maier's lab. We use a DB35 cable connected to a DB35 Ribbon Cable which we cut in half and feed into the NI breakout board.

In case it's helpful, I'm posting the documentation from our 1st setup (as logged on our lab wiki). For some reason, we always have to subtract 128 from the event codes recorded in BR to get the correct event number:

DAQ card setup

1. With the “Rainbow wire,” every alternating strand of wire will be placed into the NI BNC-2090 (interface board) on the DIO labeled ports 0 through 7. 2. Beginning with the first strand, in this case the brown strand, strip the wire covers and insert them into the ports accordingly. The first brown strand will go into port 0, then skip one strand to the next (first orange strand), strip the wire cover and insert that into port 1. Continue this process until port 7, which should end with the second green wire strand. The colors used should be: first brown – port 0, first orange – port 1, first green – port 2, purple – port 3, white – port 4, second brown wire - port 5, second orange wire – port 6, second green wire – port 7. 3. The strands that are placed into the interface board (NI BNC-2090) correspond to a pin on the other end that is inserted into the BlackRock NSP Digital Input slot. The wire that went into port 0 (the first wire, brown in image, but colors differ from cable-to-cable), corresponds to pin #1 on the BlackRock end, and the others continue all the way to port 7, which corresponds to pin 8 on the BlackRock end, respectively. The port correspondence between the interface board and BlackRock, respectively, should be: Port 0 – Pin 1, Port 1 – Pin 2, Port 2 – Pin 3, Port 3 – Pin 4, Port 4 – Pin 5, Port 5 – Pin 6, Port 6 – Pin 7, Port 7 – Pin 8.

MonkeyLogic Start-up 1. Run MATLAB as administrator to avoid any startup issues with MonkeyLogic. 2. Once MonkeyLogic has started up, load the necessary task settings in the top-middle portion of MonkeyLogic labeled “Task” (i.e. rhythmic_flash_cfg.mat). 3. Under the “Input/Output” settings, there are four Inputs that need to be set: Eye Signal X, Eye Signal Y, Behavioral Codes, and Codes Strobe. A. For the Eye Signal X and Eye Signal Y inputs, have the first “nidaq: PCI-6229” option selected under Interface Boards as well as Analog Input selected under Subsystem. i. Select the input (i.e. Eye Signal X) as well as the desired channel, in this case it would be Channel 0, then click on “Assign.” ii. Repeat this for Eye Signal Y, with the exception that it is assigned to Channel 1. B. For the Behavioral Codes and Codes Strobe, have the same “nidaq” Interface Board as the Eye Signals, with the exception that under Subsystem, DigitalO should be selected instead of Analog Input. i. For Behavioral Codes, click on assign after selecting the settings in step B, and assign lines 1 through 8. ii. For Codes Strobe, repeat the same steps with the exception that only line 0 is assigned. 4. Once the desired inputs have been assigned, test for validity by clicking on the tan button to the right of the “test” button and under the “Channels/Ports” section under the Input/Output. The button will turn green or red depending on whether or not there is an error with the assignments.

BlackRock NSP Configuration 1. Turn on BlackRock and start the Central application. 2. Once the application is running, click on “Hardware Configuration” to select the desired settings. 3. Under Hardware Configuration, select Digital In under “Signal Types,” double click on “Function” and set it to 8-bit strobe 8-bit rising edge. 4. Under “Channels” select Bank 5, Pin 1 which is assigned to the strobe and change the name to “Strobe.” 5. Begin the experiment by selecting “File Storage,” changing the file name, and clicking “Record.”

Jaewon

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi coxma,

You get event codes larger by 128, because the most significant bit of your BlockRock Digital In (Pin 9) is open (i.e., not connected to anything). To fix it, connect the next wire in the rainbow cable (the second purple wire) to the DGND of the NI BNC-2090.

However, what I think is a better way is to use PFI. (By the way, what you call "port" in "DAQ card setup" is actually "line" of Port 0 (P0).) In PCI-6229, PFI 1-7 are in fact P1.1-P1.7 and PFI 8-15 correspond to P2.0-P2.7 (P1.0 is not exposed on the BNC-2090.) If you move Codes Strobe onto PFI 1 and use all 8 lines of Port 0 for Behavioral Codes, then you can use 0-255 as event codes, instead of 0-127. So the wiring that I suggest is:

BNC-2090    Rainbow cable   BlackRock NSP
------------ --------------- ---------------

PFI 1 (P1.1) first brown     Pin 1 (DS)
P0.0         first orange    Pin 2 (D0)
P0.1         first green     Pin 3 (D1)
P0.2         first purple    Pin 4 (D2)
P0.3         first white     Pin 5 (D3)
P0.4         second brown    Pin 6 (D4)
P0.5         second orange   Pin 7 (D5)
P0.6         second green    Pin 8 (D6)
P0.7         second purple   Pin 9 (D7)

Then, in MonkeyLogic, choose DigitalIO (Subsystem), 0 (Channels / Ports), 0-7 (line selection dialog) for Behavioral Codes and DigitalIO (Subsystem), 1 (Channels / Ports), 1 (line selection dialog) for Codes Strobe.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: