Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Nick

Reply with quote  #1 
Are the trial-specific functions editable? We seem unable to drive a pump with goodmonkey, although we can drive it from the GUI. The timing script otherwise seems to work, registering correct responses vs errors, etc but there are no TTLs sent out (we checked with an oscilloscope). There are TTLs when we test from the GUI.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
What is your ML version?
Nick

Reply with quote  #3 
MonkeyLogic Revision Date: 4-05-14 build 1.0.26
ryklin

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
This sounds like the the original monkey logic, not the NIMH one correct? Can you confirm that  you downloaded this from the MonkeyLogic.org website?
Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
It was downloaded from the main MonkeyLogic website. The link I have bookmarked is http://www.brown.edu/Research/monkeylogic/
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
In the original ML, the function used in the GUI for testing differs from goodmonkey() called during trials. Passing the test in the GUI does not guarantee goodmonkey() to work.

Does your reward device require more than one digital line?

How did you trigger the TTL during the trial? Did you assign the digital line to "Reward" in the GUI and call goodmonkey() in the timing file?
Nick

Reply with quote  #7 
I cannot locate the pump manual at the moment but the pump has a single BNC-to-serial cable with the serial connector connecting to the pump and the BNC connector connecting to the source. As there is only one BNC I have assumed it needs only one digital line but I will need to confirm this from the manual.

In response to your second question, indeed I assigned Port 0, line 28 to Reward and called goodmonkey() in the timing file. Changing the digital line to Port 1, line 0 did not improve the situation. Are there any restrictions on which ports and lines can be used?
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
You can connect to any line you want. I was just wondering if the BNC from the pump is correctly wired to Port0/Line28.

If you are using two NI boards, did you try the same port/line in the other board?
Nick

Reply with quote  #9 
Our NI interface has some BNC sockets and it is through one of these that we are sending the TTL to the pump. The pump can be driven from the test menu from the GUI via the same port so the problem I would guess is with the output of the timing script or something between the timing script and the signal being sent to the NI interface, such as voltage level or pulse duration or something of that sort.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #10 
The original ML doesn't show the device IDs, so sometimes people test the board 1 while thinking of testing the board 2. If you are certain of triggering the same port, I think more information is needed. Can you post your timing file?
Nick

Reply with quote  #11 
I think we have the board ports and lines correctly assigned. We tried alternative lines and ports and all seems to make sense when done from the GUI but not if we load a script. We are using the dms script but we have not installed an eye-tracker yet (we have an auditory paradigm), so we made some small changes and turned on simulation mode to do the tests. Everything runs well except that the pump is not being triggered by the script. Perhaps goodmonkey does not work on simulation mode?
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #12 
Have you tried ML2? With ML2, it will work whether you are in the simulation mode or not. Plus, ML2 displays an icon to visually indicate the reward trigger.

http://forums.monkeylogic.org/post/nimh-monkeylogic-2-8444337?trail=75#68
Nick

Reply with quote  #13 
I have tried monkeylogic 2. It has certain improvements over the original monkeylogic, but in practice at the moment it makes no difference. It is still not possible to trigger our pump via the script. I attach the configuration file and the matlab script as text. They are the dms files slightly modifed as I said. The pump is not being triggered by goodmonkey when there is a correct response. Perhaps there is an error in the script or maybe there is something I have forgotten or missed in setting up the task. I would be, therefore, interested to know if this works in someone else's setup.

Attached Files
txt dms20160107a.m.txt (2.88 KB, 2 views)
txt dms20160107a.txt (640 Bytes, 2 views)

Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #14 
See the link below.

http://forums.monkeylogic.org/post/nimh-monkeylogic-8118700?pid=1294227168

I am not sure if you made a correct response when you tested. The max reaction time given in the task is 500 ms, which means you have to move the cursor to one of the targets within 0.5 s. If your response was correct, both ML would stop with an error message. To make your testing easy, increase the max_reaction_time to, like, 5000 ms.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.