Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #26 
I just googled the model name of the monitor and saw its spec. Isn't running at 144 Hz (or 120 Hz) the reason that you use the gaming monitor?

There are two problems. One is a variable latency. It seems that the latency is not stable when the monitor is not primary and the threshold is not 0. I will see if I can replicate it.

The other is a consistently long latency. I have one old monitor that has a latency longer than one frame length, but, in 4 other recent monitors I tested, the latency was just a few milliseconds. Yours is a decent monitor, so I thought running at different refresh rates might shorten the lag.
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #27 
Hi Geena,

I have a question about your photodiode setup. Where on the screen did you attach the photodiode? Upper-left? Lower-right?
Geenaianni

Reply with quote  #28 
Hi Jaewon,

the photodiode is attached on the lower-right corner of the screen. 

Geenaianni

Reply with quote  #29 
can you let me know the 4 monitors you have tested with short latencies? we originally had this monitor for purposes of displaying a 3D image, but with the very long latencies we're seeing, we may want to change the monitor to a more basic one for just showing 2D images to avoid the issue all together
Jaewon

Administrator
Reply with quote  #30 
LCD monitors draw the screen from the left-top to the right-bottom. Since you attached the photodiode on the right-bottom corner of the screen, you are getting the photodiode trigger at the end of a frame (practically one frame late). To make it closer to the eventmarker, please move the photodiode to the left-top. Or put the monitor upside down and flip the screen in the Windows Display Settings.

The monitors I tested are just the ones around where I work. They are nothing special. The latency cannot be attributed to the monitor alone. And, according to the spec, your monitor's response time is 1 ms, which is really good.
Geenaianni

Reply with quote  #31 
I'll try with the photodiode on the upper-left, that is good to know. Still unsure why we cannot run it at 144 Hz but when we figure it out, will rerun photodiode tests & let you know. thanks for your help.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.